Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com kcpaddler.comepic kayaks and paddles SUPStLouisMissouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Lewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center St. James Winery Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgmr340 shirtDents Unlimited2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kruger Canoes (Read 1901 times)
08/01/07 at 18:18:06

Missouri Shooter   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Did it once, Tried it
twice, Gonna do it again!
Kansas City, Missouri

I was impressed with the Kruger boats in the MR340.  I was wondering what those familiar with them would recommend for the MR340 as well as maybe a full run solo of the Mississippi river.  I can't do the MR340 next year but maybe the year after and now I think as a retirement gift to myself in  5 years running the Mississippi river would be neat.   I just ordered Verlins book and am sure it is going to inspire me to do something. I don't plan to do any ocean stuff.  The Sea Wind seems to be the boat but is there much difference between the deep draft and normal size as far as weight and paddling or other factors?  Also what is the wait time?  I know Mark was in the race but he was not back in the rear holding back the water for you all like I was so I didn't get to talk to him.  In fact I seemed to be always between groups and thought it was a solo race most of the time.

I have read Sandy Bottoms blog and it is an awesome line of boats.  The times the Krugers pulled were also pretty inspiring but I am sure their captains could do it in other boats as well so I know it is not all in the boat.

Heck it will take me 5 years to save up for one.

Thanks,

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 08/01/07 at 20:10:09
Scott   Ex Member

I'm with you Don.   I've been a long time admirer of the boats and was excited to see them (and sign one) last week.  I wonder how rare it is to see a used one for sale?  But let's not get in a bidding war, you and I.

By the way, I read Verlen's biography a couple months ago on Stan Hanson's recommendation.  Excellent.  You'll be sniffing out your next adventure in no time.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 08/01/07 at 20:16:19

3X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Did it once, Tried it
Kansas City, Missouri

I think used ones are rare, but I would not try to outbid you or you might run out of gas next time you are keeping me on track at the back of the pack.  Of course with a Kruger I might not be at the back.  Seriously I know it is the engine that counts most, but I would still let you have it cause you might then loan it to me gratis Grin Roll Eyes  Someone please sell Scott a Kruger...

Kruger Envy,
Don

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 08/01/07 at 21:16:43
Scott   Ex Member

Of course I'd loan you my Kruger.  Someone please sell Scott a Kruger.
« Last Edit: 08/02/07 at 07:34:49 by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 08/02/07 at 07:11:47

SandyBottom   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Chapel Hill, NC

Don, the Kruger's are certainly a unique boat.  When I was planning to do the 1200 mile Watertribe race, circumnavigation of Florida which included a 40 mile portage, Mark (owner of Kruger), a friend and Watertribe alum, offered me his personal boat to use, this is the one I now own (he told me if I finished the race before deadline, 30 days, I could keep it).   I needed a boat that I could pack a small folding bike and kayak cart in, to do the portage.  Expedition in this boat is awesome, heck you can even take an upright beach chair for camping. 

These boats also offer the fexability of being a great boat to use with a sail, either downwind, or full sail with outriggers like the Balogh sail system.

I don't think I could have completed the fla race without being in the Kruger.  They are just all about comfort, sitting in a tractor seat, with room to maneuver our legs and feet.  Most use a single blade, but John Flegg always uses his double blade in the Kruger (though he is also a canoest).  The rudder in the Kruger means no sit and switch.

They are not racing boats, but I'm able to maintain a prety good steady pace.  When paddling with my seakayaking group for shorter 6-15 mile paddles I can usually maintain a very relaxed 3.8 mph.  For longer races I slow it down as it's all about pacing for me, but the comfort of the boat means I don't need to make the stops to stretch out my hamstrings the way others might.  Certainly many seakayaks and canoes in the race were faster boats, but I suspect they may have had faster paddlers than me in them also.  We would often be passed over and over again by the same fast boats, only to catch up after they made stops.

I'm not a racer and will leave all that pain and misery to others, I'm just interested in a nice comfortable boat that gets the job done.   

Dawn

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 08/02/07 at 07:30:48

brwa175   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Race Volunteer
Reality is overrated.

I looked into getting a Kruger before this year's race after having seen Norm Miller's and what he did going up river on the MO from Alton, IL and then over the Bitterroots and on to Astoria, WA.  Then we did a small portage and his Krueger was easier than my canoe which has a portage yoke. It was the Krueger price point that got me.

So I opted for a starter Kruger, which is a large volume Current Designs Solstice.  It was used, a fine boat, multi-purpose and about 3-4 K less than the Krueger, both in price and likely in comfort.  It did get me down river, which was one point, and it can also get me on long distance touring, and in the sea. A Kruger it is not.

Don't ask someone who owns a Kruger if you should get one because invariably the replies are:
"Worth every penny." "Last boat you ever own." "Only boat you will ever need." "I've paddled this boat 1000, 5000, 10000, 20000, <insert appropriate mileage here> and it's the best investment I ever made."

Good luck finding a used Kruger.  If I find one, I'll let you borrow it for a tryout.

However, truth is a reasonable substitute.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 08/02/07 at 09:12:23

Etchemin   Offline
Future Participant

Price of a Kruger vs other craft for me.  Yes a kruger is pricey on the surface and i too was hesitant until Cliff Jacobson told me, "Buy the boat of your dreams even if you have to borrow or save to do it.  You will only regret once having to spend that kind of money and that is when you pay for it,  if you buy a boat not of your dreams you are happy only once and that is when you pay for it."  I have owned Swift, Mad River, Wenonah and Old town canoes and more than one model of each.  I sold them all and got a Sea Wind.  After my first expedition in one, my wife wanted one and after she got that one she called Verlen and said make us a Kruger Cruiser for the Yukon River.  Our Sea Winds are in our will to go to my son and his wife and the Cruiser will belong to my daughter and her husband and our grandkids.  I know they will last longer than my children and i'm sure they will pass them on after they are gone.

My wife is a "paddle/camper" and took to a Sea Wind with a smile on her face.  Her first solo trip was 125 miles down the Buffalo River in Arkansas where she got to paddle upriver by herself to buffalo City at the end.  The smile never left her face!!!

As far as the difference between the Deep hull and Standard hull there are a few differences but call Mark P. and he will give you the straight poop.  As for me I prefer the deep hull because there is more room for my 6'2 220lbs and "stuff".  I didnt notice any difference paddling either one.  The deep hull is only 1 1/2 inches deeper in the hull.  My wife at 5'2" loves her deep hull which is the first deep hull Verlen made.  It is made for a very large man that was going to do a very very long expedition but due to illness had to give it all up. 

We wil be in the St Louis area until the end of August.  Anyone can get in touch wth us and try one out if you want.  But after August you will have to come to Florida and launch from our dock!!  Smiley

Etch (Stan)

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 08/02/07 at 09:14:49

Etchemin   Offline
Future Participant

One other thing Missouri Shooter.  Verlen paddled UP the entire length of the Mississippi River in his canoe and down too!  I think that speaks volumns for what is the best canoe to take on a Mississippi River trip.   Smiley

Etch

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 08/02/07 at 10:28:05

3X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Did it once, Tried it
Kansas City, Missouri

Great information from everyone, thanks much I am starting to save now.  Scott you can borrow mine when I get it.  PS if you run into my wife and I know she befriended some of your wifes during the race, there is no need to discuss this with her.  She does not yet know that she is getting it for me... Roll Eyes  She caught some poison ivy acting as my support so until that goes away she is best left alone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print