Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com kcpaddler.comepic kayaks and paddles SUPStLouisMissouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Lewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center St. James Winery Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgmr340 shirtDents Unlimited2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
2008 Gritty Fitty (Read 21301 times)
02/28/08 at 15:29:17
Scott   Ex Member

2008 Edition is scheduled for August 30.  Just as your 340 hangover has subsided.  This is the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend.  Sunday will be the storm/flood option date.  And then Monday.

Not set up to take entries just yet, but there is not a roster limit. 

More details to follow.  Course will still be Lawrence to Kaw Point with a portage.  Portage trail should be done by then.  If there is no portage trail, we will assist you.  If there is a trail, you are on your own.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 04/28/08 at 11:55:50

Manitou Paddler   Online
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

I have only paddled on the Kaw once....did several miles of the river below the low water bridge thingy (paddled up from Kaw point)....I saw some rocky creek mouths..that looked like they had scattered rocky debris into river and in general it was shallow (more shallow up river I assume).....so here is my wussy, dont scratch my boat question........would you take a super duper fancy 20 lbs carbon-carbon ski ----that can dent very easily on the river if it hits anything....or take the "who cares, just run over it" tiger boat???

My question alone tells me I am a long way away from being TWS ready....owe...I think I bruised a fingernail typing.....better rest.

Chicken-huki-racer

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 04/28/08 at 12:34:26
Scott   Ex Member

There are rocky/gravel spots here and there starting below Cedar Creek access.  Of course, water level is the variable here...

West used Carter's ski during the Gritty Fitty and said he never even hit sand.  Others reported sand, but no rocks.  Logs just under the surface are not uncommon. 

I'd say you'd be fine with a ski out there.  Besides, you'll have scratched it by then.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 04/28/08 at 12:56:32

Christina   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran

Bryan,

That last section of the Kaw past the weir you mention isn't very characteristic of the Kaw overall.  In general I wouldn't worry about rocks.  There are a couple piles of rocks past Lawrence to watch for but only in moderately high water because they hide out on ya and can catch your bottom.  Otherwise you can avoid them with no probs.  If your paying attention to snags, your only concern on your super duper fancy boat will be sand--and this only if you aren't paying good attention.  I say take the fancy!

Smiley  Christina

p.s. If not racing, I highly suggest running over stuff on the Kaw.  It's fun.  You should see the bottom of my plast-ique boat.   Wink

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 04/28/08 at 21:40:34

West Hansen   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
He who hesitates is lunch.
--Chuck Darwin
Austin, Texas, Third Coast

I ran the course very conservatively, taking the outside line of every bend and curve. Of course, it was wet and cold at the time, so it might have been at flood level. --West

Cognitive Dissonance: when being wrong just isn't an option.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 04/28/08 at 21:48:51

Aquafan   Offline
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran

If you're interested in my records, not speed records but recollection records, last August, make that late August, the Kaw was flowing the lowest it did pretty much all paddling season.  What I'm saying is what everyone experienced on June 30th wasn't anything like it was late August.  I suspect, and hope, this year's Gritty Fitty will be more along the lines of what late summer should offer when on the Kaw.  That said, there will be sand, rocks, logs, and several other surprises that will be lurking within sight and hidden below the surface.  Enjoy your boat this summer and be prepared to add a few new wrinkles to it during the Gritty Fitty.

Aquafan

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 04/28/08 at 21:56:56

Manitou Paddler   Online
5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Scott.....scratch my ski....how dare you even say such words........actually I have a minor dent already from hitting it with my paddle during a remount....speaking of which....today went out on ski...very windy...on a small lake...as I move out of lee side of lake....bigger and bigger waves and rippn wind.......a little freaky in the ski when turning around...and presenting side to wave and winds...but something happened in the 10 inch waves....the boat settled in....I had read that the boat will "firm up" in waves....thought yeah right....just hype...like the B.S. that aluminum bike frames absorb road vibration.....no even.......but in the waves...it did seem to firm up......who knows ....I do realize that this ski thing will be like learning to windsurf...took me forever to be able to jibe and I still suck compare to my old man (he is an obsessed wind surfer.....obsession about sports runs in the family)........................anyway best part of today's story.....I am trying a new way to get back on ski I read about....put butt in and hang both legs off one side and rotate in...supposed to work better in big waves than straddle move I have down pat now.....and in attempting this ungainly move...I flip the boat....and my wing paddle flips up and clocks me accross my left eye......I get back on ski...eye hurts but ..no brain no pain....and paddle a lap or two more around lake...and feel something more than paddle splash on my face...look down and blood on the ski.....ok......better get back to ramp.......pull ski up on grass and look in rear mirror of van....blood all down the left side of my face....good nick next to my eye where the sharp edge of the wing bit me......the guy fishing there looked at me like I was from Mars....did not even say anything.....I loaded up the ski....and got in the van.....couple of wet wipes later...could see I would live and due to lack of great white sharks in Missouri....probably was never in real danger.............could use a stitch...but its all good....wife said she liked the boxer look anyway!!!!

Stupid kayaks!

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 04/29/08 at 06:51:20

Rob   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Olathe, KS

Rocks, logs, and sand yes, but no one has mentioned the jagged twisted metal objects that are scattered here and there throughout the river. When the water is low enough you can see the rusted jagged metal sticking out of the water, but when the water level is higher all you can see is eddy's, boils, and water rushing past something that's just out of sight. Some of the sand bars have formed around this metal in the middle of the river. I think it was originally put there along the river banks for erosion control because alot of it lines the banks in spots. It looks like those jacks that kids used to play with, only with metal cable threaded through it. I'm not too sketched out about logs and sand bars, but I do fear the sound of metal ripping a hole in the bottom of my boat. To be honest though, I paddled the river several times last summer and never hit anything other than sand bars.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 04/29/08 at 08:01:48

Ladsurfski   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran

If paddling the Kaw, the scratches, nicks, and dents are all inevitable...everything in due time...who needs a pretty boat anyway!?!  Undecided

YO Bryan...go ROCKY!!!

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 04/29/08 at 08:15:28

Manitou Paddler   Online
5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Ok...thats it....my purttyski is getting nowhere near your rock and metal infested Kaw....the tiger boat...however ...that is its natural habitat in the wild....so its all good......"just run it over"

Smiley Smiley Smiley

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 04/29/08 at 08:34:17
Scott   Ex Member

It's the Gritty Fitty, not the Hello Kitty, Fitty.

Note the bullet holes in the paddles.

50red_001.jpg (130 KB | )
50red_001.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 04/29/08 at 09:04:41

Rob   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Olathe, KS

LMAO!! Grin

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 04/29/08 at 10:51:26

Manitou Paddler   Online
5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

I can hear my tiger boat growling from all the way in Jeff City.......I only hope I can hang on to the boat....cause she is gonna make sure that the Kaw has claw marks on it.

prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #13 - 04/29/08 at 14:23:01

Christina   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran

Here's the deal-e-o.  If you see something...move.   Cool
And for the stuff you can't see, just read the water.  The Gritty Fitty race saw some higher water than we have other times out there, so we ran over lots of goodies that day.  There are all sorts of things out there.  But the water gives you clues.  Forget the Tiger, Bryan.  Go for the fancy! 
Anyway, I think the Kaw heard you say your Tiger would give her claw marks...uh oh.   Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 04/29/08 at 15:26:43

Russ   Offline
Race Staff
6X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
Kawlloween Veteran
Gardner, Kansas

Watch out Bryan, the Gritty can eat some big cats.  Claws and all . . .  Don't worry though, I will be there to take a picture of you with my new water-proof camera.

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 04/29/08 at 16:25:15

Manitou Paddler   Online
5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

I stand corrected....or perhaps more accurate ...."to be corrected"....it has been my experience that everytime I even think I know these rivers, et. al....get cocky.....they reach out and slap me down.....forgot the golden rule of kayaking on big water....be humble.

I am pretty much screwed.....the Kaw has no choice now, but to put me in my place....I can only wait for the moment and hope it will not be too painfull..........and her waters reach into the Missouri and can get me out there too...........anyone wanna paddle with me during the next lightning storm?????????? Huh

Chicken-wet cat-racer

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 04/30/08 at 17:04:36

yankeeclipper   Offline
MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
2X Ground Crew Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

On the 17th myself and RED2 womens tandem team are going for a paddle on Perche creek and maybe to Coopers Landing if anyone wants to join us.

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 06/09/08 at 10:41:34

Rob   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Olathe, KS

Scott,

Do you know when registration for the Gritty will start?

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 06/09/08 at 20:29:23
Scott   Ex Member

Rob,

Since we're not facing any kind of permit or entry limitations, I'm not in a big hurry to open registration.  Because I'm confused enough as it is with roster stuff for the 340.  I'm sort of inclined to wait until the dust settles.  Something like July 25th or so when I wake up.  From a marketing position, it's probably a really bad idea because most people will be sick of looking at the front of their boats for 340 miles.  But they'll get over it.

And they'll think... Oh, 50 miles, that's nothing.

But it's the Kaw.

In August.

Gritty.

Fitty.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 07/23/08 at 15:05:25
Scott   Ex Member

Registration will open soon.  Please don't print last year's forms and send them in.  You'll just have to do it all over again.  No reason to rush to be first on the roster.  No limit to the number of entries. 

Kevin is working on the changes and he or I will let you know when the green light comes on.

There is one checkpoint and that's the portage at about mile 36.  You must transit the dam through the checkpoint.  Deadline for checkpoint is 530pm.  Race starts at 730am.  Plenty of time.

We will have a motorboat stationed above the dam and a motorboat stationed at Kaw Point.  We will also have a paddled sweep boat.

Tshirts with the much sought after Gritty logo will be provided with each paid entry.  Additional shirts can be ordered via the entry form. 

More to follow.  Don't bother wiping the sand out of your 340 boat.  It's just going to get dirty again.

Scott

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print