Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop St. James WineryPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.comKonza SUP Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orghealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best wax and scratch removal? (Read 1090 times)
07/01/09 at 18:31:45

Mark Frankenbach   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Hannibal MO

I was wondering what is the best ways to remove scrathes and gouges from a kayak hull, and what is the best wax to use? The kayak is made out of polyurathane. (not sure of spelling)

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 07/02/09 at 13:32:04

stevekullman   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Columbia, MO

I have similar question but for a fiberglass kayak that is dull and has minor scratches. 

So should I wax or not?  Any ole wax?

Thanks,
Steve K

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 07/02/09 at 15:22:22

yankeeclipper   Offline
MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
2X Ground Crew Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Minor surface scratches on fiberglass can be removed or at least improved using any auto polish system. McGuiers (?) is one. Just follow the process recommended. For a real professional job you can wet sand it. If the gel coat is rubbed off you will need to sand and replace with poly same color.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 07/02/09 at 20:03:00

Mark Bramer   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Sanity checked at the
door
Maryland Heights, MO

But for polyurethane...  You can get very fine-grit sandpaper to buff out minor scratches, but larger scratches and gouges will need additional material to repair.  Your manufacturer probably sells repair materials.  I have a poly kayak too, and my manufacturer sells HTP sticks to repair it (look up HTP sticks for more info).

18' QCC 700X&&http://www.active.com/donate/paddle2battle&&Paddling to battle cancer one stroke at a time
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print