Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com kcpaddler.comepic kayaks and paddles SUPStLouisMissouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Lewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center St. James Winery Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgmr340 shirtDents Unlimited2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Race in September on Lake of Ozarks (Read 4692 times)
03/11/10 at 11:10:57

Manitou Paddler   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder

LOWA is planning a two stage race....60 miles on day one and 34 on day two on lake of the ozarks

here is the blurb on this...stay tuned for more information

LOWA to Sponsor Major New Lake Event

The NEW LOWA Paddlers Club will be hosting the first annual LOWA Fundraiser Kayak and Canoe Marathon Race September 25 and 26, 2010.  This event is the brain-child of our new Coordinator of Special Events, Kevin Sellers.  Kevin is a marathon kayaker and thinks this event will draw world-class extreme kayak competitors. As such, it will shine a bright light of national publicity on the Lake of the Ozarks as well as boost our economy during this shoulder time of the tourist season.

“TWO DAM DAYS” Paddle Race begins at Drake Harbor, just below Truman Dam.  This will be a crueling 60 mile run to the Stage One finish line at Captain Ron’s on Saturday.  Day One of the new LOWA Clean Water Fair will commence in the afternoon at Captain Ron’s and will continue the following day on the strip at Lake Ozark.  Great food and entertainment will be available both days amidst “water-quality” exhibition booths.

Although “extreme kayakers” will be vying for the big money, there will also be “recreation paddling” for families and friends.  These kayakers or canoe paddlers will put in much closer to Captain Ron’s on Saturday and / or Bagnell Dam on Sunday so that everyone will be able to participate in the fun.

Stage two begins at 7:00 AM Sunday and will be a 34 mile shoot-out to Bagnell Dam.  The finish line is at Iguana Sports where Awards of Trophies and Cash Prizes will be presented.   The Clean Water Celebration-Stage Two with Bar-B-Que and entertainment will top off this exciting “ first ever event at the lake.”

Get your canoe and or kayak, start muscle building those arms and plan to join the LOWA Paddlers for a great time!  See the LOWA Web for how you can join the LOWA Paddlers Club. Even non paddlers can join and show their support for our Lake and protection of its Water Quality. Free LOZ LOWA Paddlers  t-shirt with membership.

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 03/12/10 at 10:41:42

climbguru   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Record Holder
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Fish Tacos!!!
Jefferson City

Almost a hundred miles on the lake sounds pretty darn hard, good thing it is a two day race. this could end up being a huge challenge. i dont know what to do with so races going on so close to home. i guess i just have to get off my wii golf training and hit the river.

as far as boosting the economy it will surely boost something with cost to enter this race????????  Sounds fun but the cost i think will make it hard for people who are traveling any distance to afford. if the idea is to attract people from abroad, i think it should be about half the cost. I know the idea is the raise money for LOWA but the cost of this race will deter me from entering and i live forty min from the big dam. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly ... it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated."  -- Thomas Paine.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 03/12/10 at 10:56:15

West Hansen   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
He who hesitates is lunch.
--Chuck Darwin
Austin, Texas, Third Coast

What does LOWA mean? --West

Cognitive Dissonance: when being wrong just isn't an option.
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 03/12/10 at 10:58:23

climbguru   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Record Holder
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Fish Tacos!!!
Jefferson City

Lake of the Ozarks Water Alliance

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly ... it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated."  -- Thomas Paine.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 03/12/10 at 12:38:40

Ladsurfski   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran

what/where is the link to this race?

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 03/12/10 at 15:40:54

squirbbie   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 03/12/10 at 19:41:34

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

I can't wait to do this race. One thing about lake of ozark for those who have not boated it, the power boats that ply the lake are huge. More like ocean stuff.  Lots of 30 foot power yachts and cigarette boats....all on a narrow winding lake....makes for insane waves....I have had to avoid 6 foot popup haystacks that form when multiple wakes converge...crazy at times....and that was when I was in a power boat.  The times I have pAddled on the lake....I feel like a mouse in an elephant stampeed......should be an a
amazing racing experience.....in many ways more challenging and technical than the missouri river due to the pleasure boat factor

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 03/13/10 at 12:42:23

Ladsurfski   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran

Thanks for the link...here is the link regarding the prices (which are very high indeed and will make many second guess doing the race) http://www.soslowa.org/lowaregform.pdf

The length of this race on a lake will be tough indeed!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 03/13/10 at 13:22:17

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Yeah....price is a little high....hope that means a well done race.....if they can keep the jet ski Juvenal gangs that rule the lake off me (picture motercycle gangs on water made up of bored rich kids)....I have been buzzed hard by these punks.....looking to see if they can flip you....never had that happen on the Missouri river.....only At the lake.......this race will be so very different in so many ways.  Huge boat wakes to contend with and beautiful despite the over development   Gonna be cool

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 03/16/10 at 22:23:12

Don Walls   Offline
Future Participant
Dover, AR

Those fees are crazy high, I can go down to the Laredo Rio Fest and race for 1/3 of that and have a chance to win up to $1750 around $40000 in prize money to be given away in the various classes.  I guess it is for a good cause, but jeez.

Don

"When people figure out what's really important in life, there's gonna be a big shortage of canoes." Anonymous
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 03/17/10 at 09:21:49

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Yeah.....but this is an ultra....not some little wimpy warm up distance event (just pulling chains.....but any more anything less than 20 miles ....seems like a sprint....and this 220 lb rugby player does not do sprints Tongue)

Bryan

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 03/17/10 at 13:33:36

Dark Horse Paddler   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
2X Kawnivore Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Lee's Summit Missouri

I read the thread before I looked at the price, and I wasn't sure what to expect.  When I saw the prices, I guess I didn't think it was that bad, but just because I was kind of prepped for it based on the comments of this thread.

That said, if I hadn't read the thread first I probably would have had a similar reaction.

I guess the thing that makes me think the most is the actual logistics of a two day race.  A two day race for locals is one thing:  they can go home and sleep.  A two day race in a location like the Ozarks, well competitors will have to travel, and that means it is specifically geared to bring hotel revenue.  Obviously in those two days, people will have to eat, so there is restaraunt revenue as well.  On top of that, to then charge $150 ($130-$170) per entry, does seem a bit like trying to milk a little too much.

Perhaps if there is a big pot of winnings, then it would have more of a draw, but even then, an average competitor will spend $250 for hotels, $150 for food, $150 for entry, and another $100-300 on gas depending on distance.  An easy spend for this event is $600-$1000.  If your family comes, add some more bucks for food.  We all know that the amount of racers are limited as it's not a big sport; so the question from the race directors standpoint is:  what is the turnout number I am hoping to achieve?  What is the price point?  Finding that sweet spot will be a key to their success.

I think the race itself is a great idea.  I like the idea of a lake race, with big swells, at a long distance.  But to entice people to come, they need to just make sure they have a good draw for racers and families with some cool swag, prizes, etc.

They need to get a couple of bed and breakfasts and local hotels on board to give a "racer rate", or offer a "racer package".  Something that is easy for potential racers to look at and have all their costs lined out.  I'm betting they already have a plan like this in place, and simply haven't posted it yet.  I bet they are just trying to at least generate some interest at this point, and plan to post more info as soon as they can.

-Joe Mann, Dark Horse Paddler
www.MidwestPaddleRacing.com
Your #1 Site for Canoe and Kayak Racing In the Midwest!!
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 03/17/10 at 15:34:23

yankeeclipper   Offline
MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
2X Ground Crew Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

The Gritty Fitty costs me over $125.00 plus entry fees.My days of sleeping on the ground are over so I need a hotel.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 03/17/10 at 20:18:54

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Huh SmileyPlease stop.....you never want to actually calculate the cost of your sport...I feed the tribe with 4 deer in freeZer taken with a bow....and I smuggly look at the price of beef and think how much I am ahead by providing and processing my own meat

A buddy once tried to get me to analyze the cost of a bow and new broad heads and tree stands and scent free camo and binoculars and................his point was that my "free" meat was likely $50/lb.........I don't talk to that guy anymore Shocked.  Denial is my friend.   If you guys insist on breaking down the cost to race.......I will to block you on my email and take out of my will.....you are going to the light .....stop while can before it is too late

Throw the calculator away

In all seriousness how much does it cost your boddy to rot on a couch in front of a tv.....what is the cost of a life without a passion and goals....hell, man....this stuff is cheap

Bryan

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #14 - 03/18/10 at 08:11:24

Sellers   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Camdenton MO

Thank you! paddling community for stirring up some conversation about this race. We know that the entry fee is high, but thanks to LOWA's director, the prize $ will be too! I took this dam to dam idea to them a couple of months ago when work was slow, and now I am just burried. All input is appreciated.  The Lake of the Ozarks Watershed Alliance is a 501(c)(3) Non- Profit organization, staffed and operated by volunteers that understand the importance of protecting our great lake both in name and deed. They have given me carte blanche (abc?) concerning the race and our new LOWA Paddlers club. A Paddle America Club of the ACA. I am just a poor, dumb home builder here at the lake and I am counting on you fine people to help rudder this event in the right direction. ManitouPaddler, we have over 100 searays on this lake that are over 50' in length. I hope it's sunny on race day and they are all out plowing the water for you! Thankyou for your enthusiasm!

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 03/18/10 at 11:09:18

7X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
2X Kawnivore Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Lee's Summit Missouri

Hopkins, I understand where you are coming from...We wouldn't be racing and spending all the time, energy, effort, and money on it if we didn't feel it was worth it.  Obviously all 328 paddlers that are signed up for the MR340 right now are not doing it for any kind of prize money, but simply for the thrill, adventure, and to see how far we can push our bodies.  I think paddle sports is a great example of how passionate people are about doing something they enjoy.  I've made more friends paddling in both in MO and TX than in any other recreational sport.  We all have thousands of dollars (if not tens of tousands - for those of us doing this for 5+ years OR MORE for some) invested in boats, paddles, GPS units, spandex  Undecided, nutrition, lighting, hydration, GASOLINE!, and god knows what else that our spouses probably don't understand why we need it and maybe we don't either, but its cool, and we wanted it).

But on the same token, you can't just spend everything you have and go into debt to justify not being a couch potatoe.  There are tons of races every season, and most of us have jobs and/or families and/or school (or all 3), and so when it comes down to making a race schedule for the year, you have to have at least a semblance of a budget in mind.

Granted, as a business-minded person, I may be more budget-oriented than some, but I don't think I'm alone when it comes to planning a race, and taking into consideration all the costs involved.  

My point in the above thread was simply to make sure the race directors had thought about that from the racers perspective, and after talking to Kevin earlier today, he totally understands, and it sounds like its going to be a great race.  I would love to do this race...probably will...regardless of payout prize money.  But why spend more than you have to.  Like in life:  have a plan going in, set a budget, alter if needed, and have fun.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 03/18/10 at 13:15:27

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Smiley Smiley SmileyI tried to warn you........ go ahead and calculate the true cost of these races......business model or whatever......add it all up on a spread sheet..................."budget oriented" .....................................I will look for your gear for sale on the forum. Roll Eyes  

just remember....i tried to warn you.

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #17 - 03/18/10 at 14:24:35

7X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
2X Kawnivore Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Lee's Summit Missouri

What gear?  Oh, you mean YOUR gear you are selling?  Like the lights you sold last week?  Or the canoe you are selling?  Or the Wooden Outrigger you are selling?

Just kidding man...to each his own.  However we get there, we'll see each other on the water and thats the important thing.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 03/18/10 at 16:35:46

5X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Thats right....I calculated the cost to do these races....and wow......its over.....I am selling everything...stopped all exercise...if you see me at a race...dont worry about me...I am of no concern as to the podium......just there to sell gear.......and drink beer....racing no more............................................................................
........costs too much.

Smiley

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #19 - 03/18/10 at 16:43:41

7X MR340 Veteran
4X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
2X Kawnivore Veteran
MR340 Record Holder
Lee's Summit Missouri

Can I buy your Evo?  Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print