Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com kcpaddler.comepic kayaks and paddles SUPStLouisMissouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Lewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center St. James Winery Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgmr340 shirtDents Unlimited2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quote to enlighten the soul and refresh the spirit (Read 904 times)
07/16/10 at 11:32:58

spinar   Offline
MR340 Veteran

THE MAN IN THE ARENA

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat... ."

Theodore Roosevelt
April 23, 1910.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 07/16/10 at 11:40:16

West Hansen   Offline
7X MR340 Veteran
2X MR340 Record Holder
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder
He who hesitates is lunch.
--Chuck Darwin
Austin, Texas, Third Coast

Whether you believe you will succeed or fail, you are usually right.

Cognitive Dissonance: when being wrong just isn't an option.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 07/16/10 at 15:16:50

River Odder   Offline
MR340 Veteran
Midlothian, VA

Beer is the reason I get up every afternoon .... wait, that's not inspirational

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 07/17/10 at 21:07:20

jimmiethejet   Offline
MR340 Veteran

This was written originally for ultrarunning, but it fits marathon paddling like a glove.  I have changed the running terms to suit us all.

"Perhaps the genius of ultra paddling is its supreme lack of utility.  It makes no sense in a a world of space ships and supercomputers to paddle vast distances in boats. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the approval of peers.  But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense.  The ultra paddlers know this instinctively.  And they know something else that is lost on the sedentary.  They understand perhaps better than anyone that the doors to the spirit will swing open with physical effort.  In paddling such long and taxing distances they answer a call from the deepest realms of their being........a call that asks who they are...... "

David Blaikie  Former journalist Founding member of the Assoication of Road Racing  etc. 

What David didn't realize is that he is an ultra paddler at heart also.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 07/18/10 at 15:23:54

spinar   Offline
MR340 Veteran

"...the doors to the spirit will swing open with physical effort... " That's pretty cool, Jimmiethejet.  I got the following quote from a Sigurd Olson book (he was a conservationist from the 50's through 80's)  when asked about a trip down the Churchill River retracing Indian and Fur Trapper routes an adventurer stated,  "I went along to iron out the wrinkles in my soul."  Omand Solandt

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print