Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com paddlestop.comOlathe Ford Lincoln MercuryFarmer's InsuranceLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature CenterSome Beach Outfittersprojectathena.org healthyriverspartnership.comMidwest Paddle AdventuresPaddle KC
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
2011 KC PaddleFest (Read 31844 times)
01/20/11 at 09:10:22
Osprey   Ex Member

Dates are set!  April 16-17.

April 16 - Lake Olathe Relay
April 17 - Platte River Challenge

Lake Olathe Relay is a new format race.  Two people tag-team with one boat for one lap around the lake each.  Exchange zone at the beach marked by buoys.  This is a timed event.  Any boat welcome, and no gender considerations.  You can race multiple times with a different partner or on a different boat.  Lake Olathe features a small island at the south end and a large concrete structure at the north end.  Start at the beach, head south and go around the island, head north the full length of the lake and then around the structure and back to the beach when you'll hop out/off your boat in the exchange zone and your partner hops on and does the same lap finishing back in the exchange zone.  One lap as described is approximately 1.75 miles.  These should be fast heats and allow for people to hook up with as many different partners and boats as they like.  Remember, it's for FUN!  Like wearing stretchy pants.

Platte River Challenge are the same double races as the last two years.  Late morning is the two-lap race around the Duck Head with the portage for about a 5-mile race.  Pot luck picnic between races.  Early afternoon race is the three-lap event ... one down-river lap, one up-river lap, then another down-river lap to finish for about 7.5 miles.

More official information forthcoming.  Just save the dates.

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 01/21/11 at 11:12:46

Ladsurfski   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran

Thanks for the update. I'll try to be there both days this year.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 01/22/11 at 10:30:36

Rob   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Olathe, KS

Looking forward to it. I'll also try to be there both days.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 01/22/11 at 19:09:46

Manitou Paddler   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
3X MR340 Safety Boat Pilot

rob

turf and surf???.....my cyclocross bike want to know Roll Eyes

bryan

river is as river does
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 01/24/11 at 08:34:23

Rob   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Olathe, KS

Chris and I have been talking about it and we're thinking of pushing the Surf and Turf race out to August 6th or Aug 13th for a few reasons. 1) There are no Bonk Hard races scheduled for Aug, but there is for June. 2) No Rivermiles races scheduled for Aug, but there is for June. 3) Kansas City Corporate Challenge runs through May and June. 4) My wife and I are having an addition built on our house this spring for my mom.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 02/01/11 at 12:52:16

Ladsurfski   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran

I'll be at the 2011 KC Paddlefest...I'm looking forward to being there again for the 3rd running this year. I'll bring a couple of Epic surfski's and paddles for demo as well as a PaddleONE erg for anyone that would like to try them.  

...Also here are some items that are being donated from Epic Kayaks:

•Epic Mid Wing Paddle - http://www.epickayaks.com/products/paddles/mid-wing

•The Forward Stroke Video - Two time Olympic Gold medalist, Greg Barton and eleven time World Surf Ski champion, Oscar Chalupsky provide instruction on the forward stroke. http://www.epickayaks.com/products/accessories/the-kayak-forward-stroke-video

Looking forward to seeing a lot of particpants on the water in April!

Ron

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 02/02/11 at 14:04:16

climbguru   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Record Holder
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder
Fish Tacos!!!
Jefferson City

is there any way those demo boats could be used in the races? if so i would like to call dibs.

Hey Ron give me a call or shoot me an email. I called you back and left a voice mail. My phone rings 24-7 so sometimes i ignore it, sorry.

Matt Green

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly ... it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated."  -- Thomas Paine.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 02/02/11 at 21:08:55
Osprey   Ex Member

It's always good to partner with you, Ron.  We're looking forward to racing this year and am excited about our new Lake Olathe Relay format.  I think it will be a lot of fun and people can cheer (laugh) at the exchanges.  These are rain or shine dates, so come prepared.

I'd really want to encourage you all to save these two dates:
April 16 - Lake Olathe Relay
April 17 - Platte River Challenge

Also, Hui Ho'ola will accept donations for their effort to raise funds to fight breast cancer.

Flier will be ready soon.

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 02/14/11 at 21:46:34
Osprey   Ex Member

Thanks to Ron of Ladsurfski.com, we'll be conducting a free prize drawing at this year's KC PaddleFest, April 16 & 17

On Saturday at the Lake Olathe Relay, those present will draw for DVD of "The Forward Stroke" video.
On Sunday at the Platte River Challenge, those present will draw for Epic Midwing paddle.

Ron will also bring Epic boats and paddles for demo.

Be sure to save the date - rain or shine - April 16 & 17.  Pot luck picnic between river races on Sunday.  I'll post the event flier by Thursday.

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 02/15/11 at 16:11:27
Osprey   Ex Member

Okay gang, the long-promised flier is here!  I've attached it as a PDF.  You can view it online or print it out.

If you have any questions, please let me know.  These are relaxed events and should be a good time just to hang out with one another and talk paddling.  For those new to the MR340 and other races, this is your chance to pick the brains of those who have been successful in the MR340 in person.

Don't worry about what kind of boat or paddle you have, just show up and enjoy the good time.  If you don't have a relay partner and still want to race on Saturday, we'll hook you up with a tag-team partner, so don't sweat that.

Regarding the demo boat questions, you should talk to Ron of Ladsurfski.com.  He's the man there.

Be sure to forward the flier on to your friends and family and spread the word.

I'll be at the Perche Creek Gutbuster and I hope you all show up there too.  Then, we'll have a month to redeem ourselves at the KC PaddleFest.  Come on, it's for fun ... like wearing stretchy pants!

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 02/16/11 at 08:54:02

Ladsurfski   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran

I am looking forward to the event again this year. This IS definitely a great event and a "must-do" for all of the locals wanting to get in some competitive water time before the longer races...not to mention the socail aspect and paddle talk!

The Epic Kayaks surfskis and wing paddles as well as the PaddleONE ergs will be there both days for demo before, inbetween and after the races. However, due to the limited qty they will not be availabe for use during the races.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 02/21/11 at 13:41:07
Osprey   Ex Member

Picked up the prizes from ladsurfski.com for our free drawings for this year's KC PaddleFest.

On Saturday at the Lake Olathe Relay, those present will draw for DVD of "The Forward Stroke" video.
On Sunday at the Platte River Challenge, those present will draw for Epic Midwing paddle.

I know those who are contemplating making the switch from touring paddle to wing paddle will not be sorry with this paddle.  I've been eyeing it myself, but ... heck, I can't be in the drawing ... can I????

If you ever thought a coaching session on your kayak stroke would be a good idea, you won't get any better than the video on the forward stroke by Greg Barton and Oscar Chalupsky.

Besides, how can you beat the price of the KC PaddleFest -- FREE

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 02/23/11 at 06:10:11

Rusty Coons   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran

The Platte River Challenge is virtually in my backyard. I am curious what kind of race times do people put up? i assume that race one is only about an hour long or less for some paddlers, but what about race 2?

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 02/23/11 at 09:17:51

Ladsurfski   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran

Here is the thread with the results from the first year of the race in 2009, http://rivermiles.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1231821345 and here is the thread from last years event however I couldn't find any times, http://rivermiles.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1264996418/0

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 02/23/11 at 13:59:05
Osprey   Ex Member

For the Platte River Challenge, I would think (of course depending on river level and weather) a good time for race No. 1 would be 45 min. and 1:20:00 for race No. 2.  Now, some folks from Oklahoma City might be coming up and they'll be faster than that. 

But, we have lots of folks that won't race that fast and shouldn't be discouraged by thinking they can't race that fast.  This is a low-key race that is FREE so no one should feel like they don't fit in.  Bring whatever boat you got and join the fun.

Now, this will be our first attempt at the relay format at Lake Olathe, but I suspect it will be pretty fun and become popular.  A team averaging 7 mph should be able to complete each lap in 15 min. for a total time of 30 min.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to call me:  eight one six - 7 2 9 - four four two two

I'm so stoaked for this.

Dan

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 02/23/11 at 14:11:35

awaller   Offline
3X MR340 Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran

Any chance someone will volunteer to record lap times this year?  I was told my time as a pulled in last year, but by the time I got out of my boat, I had already forgotten!  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 02/23/11 at 16:06:46
Osprey   Ex Member

I'll try to ensure we have times this year.  I'm going to search for a couple of volunteers this year to help ... Karin?  You available still?

Thanks,
Dan

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 02/27/11 at 15:41:02
Osprey   Ex Member

For the Lake Olathe Relay, several of us will have boats there that can be borrowed.  For example, I'll have my Epic V10 Sport.  Someone wanting to demo an Epic ski is certainly welcome to use mine in the lake.  Since we'll be running in heats, it can be used by more than one relay team.

Most of the paddlers I know are happy to let others try their boats.  That's part of why I planned a relay event like this, so everyone can share information and even shre boats.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 02/27/11 at 19:19:40

Rob   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Olathe, KS

Anyone is welcome to use my boat as well.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 03/05/11 at 08:51:30
Osprey   Ex Member

Just announced -- Saturday at KC PaddleFest will also feature a gear swap.

There's plenty of room on the beach to display your boats for sale and other gear you'd like to sell or trade.  So, bring that boat you're trying to move.  Hang a for sale sign on it and talk to everyone standing around on the beach about what you have for sale.  It'll be good fun!

I know there are many boats and a lot of stuff people want to sell.  This is the perfect opportunity to look at and try out other boats and paddles.  Plenty of time for people to talk because we'll probably only have two boats on the water at the same time.  Don't forget to bring your lawn chairs!  Oh, and remember, this will be like wearing stretchy pants ... it's for fun!

Dan

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print