Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com Missouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Alpine Shop Llama RacksPfefferkorn Engineering & Environmentalladsurfski.com Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgFarmer's Insurancehealthyriverspartnership.comLewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center2013 Stickers
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
2nd Annual Twisted 27 Nishnabotna (Read 13220 times)
06/01/11 at 15:29:18
Osprey   Ex Member

Hey Gang:
Our cool and fast friends from Iowa, the Soggy Bottom Boys, invite all of us up their way for an awesome race, July 2.  Black Coffee and I raced this last year and had an absolute blast.  The race hospitality was second to none.  And, at 27 miles, you can race the Twisted 27 on Saturday, then come back to KC that same day in time for the KC Sprints on Sunday and have an awesome weekend of racing.

I've attached a basic flyer that has all the data about the race.  Let's show the Boys some support.  It's only a three-hour drive from KC.  The Nishnabotna is a lot of fun and is sort of a blend of the best and worst of the Kaw and the Platte rivers, based on how much water is flowing.  That means both fun and a challenge all wrapped up in one.

With all the potential for postponed races in Missouri, this may be a rare opportunity to get in a race that is a lot of fun with some really fun people.

Dan

Twisted_27.pdf (96 KB | )
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 06/01/11 at 15:31:11
Osprey   Ex Member

Oh, and when I was done after last year's race, I ate four steak sandwiches that were free to racers.  They hit the spot, big time.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 06/10/11 at 10:02:27

soggybottomboys   Offline
5X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Oakland, Ia

Just thought I would let everyone know  that the flood water you are reading about in Iowa is not effecting the Nishnabotna river where the race happens, the Nishnabotna does enter the Missouri river near Hamburg Iowa but that is 60 miles downstream from the finish line of our race, look forward to seeing all the racers if you can make it up to the race, I will have info at the gritty 50 for anybody having questions.  Thanks Phil

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 06/16/11 at 09:19:05

FF2204   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder

Guys,
Alittle up date on the Nish for the race.  We've been getting good rains up north latley and its keeping the river at a very managable level for the race, not too high but not low by no means which is good since the first 3 miles can be a real knuckle dragger when its low until you hit the main river.
Soggy Bottom Boys, Brothers Clem, Yeti and I did some aqua logging on it last night trying to rmove a large cottonwood that had fell across the small channel about 2 miles into the run.  Kinda interesting standing in chest deep water running a 390 Stihl!  Felt like swampman Shelby, but without the gators!
Get entered up and be ready for a great time, looks like it may be the summer for short races!
Corey

Team Shamrock Inferno-Oakland, IA
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 06/16/11 at 10:39:14

Ladsurfski   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran

FF2204 wrote on 06/16/11 at 09:19:05:
Guys,
...looks like it may be the summer for short races!
Corey

...isn't that the truth!?!

I'm going to try and make it up to your race. Dan said he had a great time up there. Keep the updates coming as it is helpful for us out of towners. Thanks!

Ron

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 06/16/11 at 12:01:04
Osprey   Ex Member

Highly recommended event.  The townsfolks were very excited to have paddlers in their small towns -- great hospitality.  It's a very easy drive up there.  Can be done both as a one-day up and back or a nice overnight.

Don't know if the fire department will be there again, but it was very cool to have a truck and small fire hose there to wash down the boats after the race.

Can't wait!

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 06/21/11 at 14:12:35

cdoggett   Offline
8X MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Katy 50 Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Record Holder
Saint Louis

Count me in for this event. Any recommendations on camping in the area.

Colin

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 06/21/11 at 15:16:33

FF2204   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder

Colin,
Botna  Bend park in Hancock is a good place to camp, lots of spots
and nice shower house Plus its on the river.
Corey

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 06/27/11 at 08:48:21

5X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Oakland, Ia

Hi everyone, have had a few calls about checkpoints on this race. We will not have any mandatory checkpoints during this race, but there is a ramp at each town along the route so you would have at least 3 places to get any needed supplies, plus several other bridges if you want to follow the racers along the route, we will have water trail maps available at check-in for anyone that needs directions.  Also we are starting to line up drivers to shuttle vehicles to the end of the race for those of you that want us to do that for you, if you know that you want us to do that for you please give me a call in advance if you can or post it on this site and I will check this site daily, my cell # 402-290-4671. Should be a good time, the water is at a good depth for racing and the forcast for the week looks good, see everyone Sat.
                                                                          Phil

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 06/30/11 at 07:28:27

FF2204   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder

Hey Gang,
Anyone coming up I-29 this weekend for the race, you will want to get off at the Rock Port exit due to 29 being closed North and then take Hwy 59 north up through Tarkio MO and then to Shenedoah, IA and stay on it going north for 38 miles Until you get to Oakland, take a left on the East edge of Oakland on 59 Again and 15 Miles to Avoca to get your race on.  Drive Safe and see ya on Saterday!

Corey

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 06/30/11 at 10:37:04

Rob   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Olathe, KS

Can a boat with an understern rudder be used on this river?

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 06/30/11 at 12:23:01

FF2204   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder

You should be fine with a understern, our water level is still pretty good.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 07/01/11 at 16:28:51

Rob   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Olathe, KS

Is there a roster posted somewhere? I'm just wondering how many people are signed up to race?

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 07/01/11 at 16:48:08

FF2204   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder

Not much of a roster yet lots of calls and most are registering in the morning .  As far as big names Pappy and son, ladinski ,tandemonium .

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 07/02/11 at 18:04:58

Pappy   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
3X Kawlloween Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
kansas City, MO

What a GREAT day on the river the Twisted was. The Soggy Bottom Boys put on a really nice event.  If you missed it this year you need to get it on your scheduel next year. The event was neat from the park we started from to the park we finished at. All you could eat steak sandwiches Att the finish. A fire truck pumper to wash the boats and racers off. And that only begins to tell how good a day it was. Don't miss the next one.

Thanks to all who worked on this with the Soggy Bottom Boys!

If brute force doesn't solve your problems you're not using enough of it!
IP Logged

Reply #15 - 07/03/11 at 16:01:39

Rob   Offline
MR340 Veteran
2X Kawlloween Veteran
3X Gritty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Olathe, KS

This was a fun race. Glad I was able to make it up there. I started having some problems close to half way through and had to pull over on a sand bar for a little while, but I was happy to get to the finish without swimming (Came really close a few times). This was also the first time I paddled on a river in a while and it was good to have that "Holy crap, what's that lurking under the water" feeling again.

Thanks to Phil and all the other race volunteers for a great day, and thanks Heidi for letting my daughter ride along with you to the finish, I really appreciate it. Congrats to Ron for winning the long course, and to everyone else that participated in either the long or short course.

Here are a few photos my daughter took.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Rob271974/Twisted272011#

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 07/04/11 at 09:28:08

FF2204   Offline
Kawnivore Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder

Good pics Rob, thanks for sharing, I'll try to get some more posted also when I get them all together.  Thanks everyone for coming up to race it was a great day for it and we can't wait to do it again next year.  We are also kicking around the idea of adding a kids division to it starting at Carson and running 4 miles to Macadonia for them to run with a couple of adults bringing up the rear to get them involved in the fun.
Corey

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 07/05/11 at 08:43:38

Pappy   Offline
6X MR340 Veteran
3X Kawlloween Veteran
2X Gritty Fitty Veteran
2X Kawnivore Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
kansas City, MO

I have sme pictuers on our Flicker site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pappy_and_son/

If brute force doesn't solve your problems you're not using enough of it!
IP Logged

Reply #18 - 07/06/11 at 08:01:32

5X MR340 Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Oakland, Ia

I am having to work out of town for a few days but when I get back I will get with the rest of our group and get all of the results posted for the twisted 27, we couldn't have asked for a better day on the river, and as always it is great to see others who enjoy paddling as much as we do.  See everyone at the Kanivore.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 07/07/11 at 00:19:44

Ladsurfski   Offline
4X MR340 Veteran
5X Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawlloween Record Holder
Kawnivore Veteran
4X Kawlloween Veteran

Great race, great course and great hospitality...mark it on your calendars for 2012!

Rob, tell your daughter she took some nice photos of the event! Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print