Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
rivermiles.com kcpaddler.comepic kayaks and paddles SUPStLouisMissouri American WaterMissouri River Relief Lewis and Clark Boathouse and Nature Center St. James Winery Olathe Ford Lincoln Mercuryprojectathena.orgmr340 shirtDents UnlimitedSt. Louis Sail and Paddle2013 StickersRave Sports
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SOLD Deep Hull Kruger Sea Wind for sale  SOLD (Read 2107 times)
07/08/11 at 15:44:07

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

This is a 2000 Sea Wind, Hull #106, built by Verlen Kruger and Scott Smith.  My friend was apprenticing in the shop at the time and custom designed the boat with Verlen, and assisted with the layup.  It is a special custom lightweight version, acheived by leaving out the gelcoat above the water line, moving some cloth from where it was not really needed, to the belly area where it was, and leaving a bit out where not needed.  As it was being laid up, excess resin that was dripping or running in the mold was removed.  The result is probably one of the lightest deep hull Sea Winds ever made.  It is partially set up for a sail rig, with bow plate and chain plates installed.  It was used for its intended purpose, but not abused.  Stored indoors when not being used.

It has TWO catamaran tubes installed, and more pad eyes inside and out than any other Sea Wind I have seen.  The boat like this, along with an included spray cover, would set you back almost $6000 if bought new today.  This historic and custom Sea Wind is for sale for $3950.

This boat needs to get back in ther water.  On Lake Superior.  In a Watertribe race.  On the Grand River.  On the MO River...

It is located in SE Missouri.  I can probably bring it to the Kawnivore for delivery.  Or arrange for a friend to bring it to the BWCA vicinity for a small fee.

I have lots of pictures I can email.  Feel free to call to discuss:  fifty seven three two hundred seventy fourty four forty four.

Joe

« Last Edit: 12/13/11 at 13:39:05 by Joewildlife »  

And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat
Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 07/08/11 at 23:27:56

johne   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Austin, TX

Out of curiosity, with the weight saving strategies, what does this boat weigh?

Thanks,
John

Cheers,

John Erskine
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 07/09/11 at 07:09:38

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

I'm told in the upper 50's but I haven't weighed it myself.  I will next time I can get to it, in my stuffed garage!
I think overall, it is more about strength in the right places while keeping overall weight within reason.

Joe

Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #3 - 07/10/11 at 14:50:43

drgshannon   Offline
Future Participant

Hi
I've paddled with whitecaps and want to move p to a Seawind. Please call me.
Greg Shannon
517 230 9502

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 07/12/11 at 14:27:56

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

Boat #106 has been sold.

It's identical twin, #105, is NOW FOR SALE.

Aside from a different birthmark or two, the sisters are identical.  #105 does not have the extra bow plate or chain plates installed.

Joe

Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 07/13/11 at 18:21:27

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

Actual weight of this deep hull Sea Wind, with bow and stern painters installed, with seat and bungee holding seat in the portage position, is 59 pounds  Cool

On www.krugercanoes.com it lists the Sea Wind at 63 pounds.  There is no distinction between the standard and deep hull version.  The deep hull version has 2" more hull the entire perimeter of the boat.  I beleive a typical deep hull weighs in at 68 pounds, and costs $5190 + 450 for the spray cover + $100 of labor m/l for the second cat tube and all the extra pad eyes.  + tax?

New Deep Sea Wind $5740 for 68 pounds, and you have to wait.
vs.
#105 Deep Sea Wind, made in Verlen's Shop, $3950 neg. and 59 pounds, available now.

Joe

Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 08/05/11 at 23:21:09

Joewildlife   Offline
2X MR340 Veteran
Ground Crew Veteran
Gritty Fitty Veteran
Kawnivore Veteran
Jackson MO

Both #105 and #106 have sold to deserving buyers!  Thanks!  The boats are happy to get on with their next life!

Joe

Ride on
AC/DC, Ride On
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print