Live Race Tracking
- Live Race Updates and Tracking on raceowl.com
- RaceOwl Race Map, with automated tracking for many of the racers.
- MR340 Facebook Group
- #MR340 on Facebook
- #MR340 on Twitter
General MR340 Race Info
- 2021 MR340 Race Results
- Missouri River Relief (Race Hosts)
- Race Registration
- 2022 Race Dispatches – You must read these to be fully prepared for the race. You can also check out the 2021 Race Dispatches here.
- 2021 Mandatory Safety Video – (1:12) Use your boat number and last name as the “Nickname”. Please answer the four questions throughout the video. If you need to rewatch certain parts, or if the software gives you problems, you can click the YouTube icon on the lower right of the screen to view in YouTube.
- Race Course Map (2-page pdf) . For some more detailed maps click here.
- 2022 Race Roster
- MR340 Race Rules
- MR340 Race Forum – A community forum powered by and for racers. For some select racing archives from the forum, check out this Midwest Paddle Racing archive.
- MR340 Facebook Group – So Many Good Photos and Stories!!!
- Race Records
- Past Results (an updated dropbox spreadsheet)
- River Projections (bit.ly/mr340-forecasts) – Link to track all river stage projections on the race course
- MR340 LIVE – Webinars hosted by Christopher Luedke on topics to help your race
- MR340 Paddler You-Tube Page – How-to videos by race veteran Christopher Luedke
- Select MR340 Videos
July 20-23, 2021
Squeezed between a week of near flooding conditions and a heat wave, the 2021 race was just right! 419 boats with 639 paddlers from 39 states started the race with 302 boats finishing the race. This was the first race hosted by Missouri River Relief and we are so proud with the performance of all the racers and the rock-solid support by all the volunteers. No storms, moderate heat and patchy fog meant for a fun and challenging race.
- 2021 Results (raceowl.com)
- PHOTOS – Official race photographer Cindy Hiles (explore several galleries from the race check-in to the finish line)
- VIDEO – The Weather Channel – “Battling Heat, Exhaustion and Fog While Paddling Across Missouri in the MR340” – a great quick peek into the race starring the Williams family and Trey Kerby of Ozark Water Walkers.
- PODCAST & Article – KCUR 89.3 – “Paddlers Brave Heat Stroke, Exhaustion And 340 Miles Of The Missouri River Just To Finish Last” – super great podcast from Gina Kaufmann’s series “Real Humans”.
- ARTICLE – Missouri Life Magazine – “Missouri’s Most Extreme Adventures” – August 2021 – includes the MR340 with veteran paddlers Amber & Rusty Coons as well as 340 veteran Chuck McHenry talking about the St. Francis River.
- Jefferson City News Tribune – “Missouri River Relief acquires MR340 race” by Jeff Haldiman, Dec. 9, 2020
- Columbia Missourian – “Columbia paddlers ready for a 340-mile race along the Missouri River” by Alex Wang, July 20, 2021 – “MR340 paddlers make a stop at midpoint en route to St. Charles” by Alex Wang, July 21, 2021
- Columbia Daily Tribune – “Rivermiles passes paddle of MR340 race to Missouri River Relief” by Charles Dunlap, Dec. 7, 2021
- Keloland – “Sioux Falls resident, Navy Veteran finishes 340-mile paddle boat race in Missouri” by Eric Meyer, July 23, 2021 (about racer Thomas McClelland)
- KOMU-8 – “MR340 brings paddlers, supporters and community together” by Meagan Hodges, July 21, 2021
- KSHB-TV – “Descendant of Lewis & Clark expedition carves canoe for MR340 race” – by Charlie Keegan, July 20, 2021
- FOX-4KC – “MR340 river race underway as hundreds of boats make their way from KC to St. Louis” with video, by Heidi Schmitt, July 20, 2021
- PHOTOS – Washington Missourian – “MR340 participants race past Washington, Klondike” –
- ARTICLE – Magnificent Missouri – “Let the Missouri River Be Your Destination”
- ABC17 – “How the weather is impacting the MR340 Race” – by Maddie Est, July 21, 2021
- Ft. Leavenworth Lamp – “CGSC instructor completes 340-mile river race” – by Katie Peterson, Aug. 5, 2021
- BLOG – Calico Moon Race Report – by Rusty Coons
- Park Hills Daily Journal – “Stolen kayak replaced by wave of generosity” – by Sarah Haas, Aug. 21, 2021
- VIDEO – “My MR340 Journey | Paddling 340 miles on a Stand Up Paddle Board” by paddler Michael Carson.
August 4-7, 2020
To hold the 15th Annual MR340 race during this pandemic year, when so many public events have been cancelled, was a breath of fresh air. We are so grateful for the bravery of Scott and Kate Mansker for leading the way to a safe outdoor adventure for everyone. To witness the perseverance of the racers, the selflessness of the volunteers, the dedication of the ground crews, and the heroism of the safety crews was the medicine we all needed. All divisions and conflicts melted away as the MR340 wove its magic across the state.
The weather was incredible, with cool nighttime lows and highs in the 80’s. Lots of clouds but no threatening storms. Heavy fog the first night followed by several days of perfection. Regional downpours the week before the race kept things dicey up to the last minute, but instead of the high water some racers had hoped for, we had a falling river, covering all of the landings with a layer of pudding mud. That always makes for some fun challenges for everyone!
While there were so many outstanding performances, one vessel, in particular, captured everyone’s imagination. The handcrafted “Kraken”, designed by racer Matt Walters and crewed by Matt, Joe Mann and “Uncle A-Dog”, is a three-person pedal drive craft utilizing four actual canoe paddles on a chain drive. Impossible to explain and hard to believe even when seeing with your own eyes, the boat was the first to hit the finish line.
COVID precautions were observed throughout the race, with everyone masking up on ramps, food lines and other crowded locations. We hope this year’s race is a model for the cooperation and care we need to move forward as a country.
- 2020 Results (raceowl.com)
- PHOTOS – Gallery by official race photographer Cindy Hiles (there are many galleries capturing the race start and the finish line over several days)
- PHOTOS – Missouri River Relief’s Flickr Album
- PHOTOS – “PHOTO GALLERY – MR340 comes through Cooper’s Landing and Jefferson City” – by Elizabeth Underwood and Zephyrus Li, Aug. 6, 2020.
- USCA Canoe News – “The Kraken – Unlikely MR340 Story” by Joe Mann, Winter 2020.
- Columbia Missourian – “MR340 back on the water for 2020” – by Chris Martucci, Aug. 3, 2020
- Jefferson City News-Tribune – “MR340 racers glide down Missouri River on foggy morning” – by Jeff Haldiman, August 5, 2020.
- 13KRCG – “Hundreds flood Missouri River for world’s longest continuous paddle race” – by Lexie Petrovic, August 5, 2020 • “Local woman sets sights on finishing MR340” (about racer Sherry Isenhart) – by Kevin Ryans, August 4, 2020
- Washington Missourian – “PHOTO GALLERY: Racers in Missouri River 340 stop in Washington” – by Julia Hansen and Bill Battle, August 7, 2020
- Chico Enterprise-Record – “Chico’s Peter Bjorklund places second atop paddle board in world’s longest non-stop river race” – by Justin Couchot, August 31, 2020.
Personal blogs and posts
- “Risky Business” #0963 Race report by John Moore posted to MR340 Facebook Group – 8/9/2020
- Great video of race start and some more footage of the “Kraken” by New Haven photographer Tony Carosella
- “2020 MR340 Race Recap” – by Mark Fingerhut (#2456) posted to his Paddle St. Louis blog.
- “Meanderings” by Dana Kee (#5400) – a Microsoft Word download
- Race Recap by Hogan Haake (#) Team “Lemons in a Can”. Includes the story of the rescue his team made midstream Day 1.
- “Adversity at 3 a.m.” by Scott Robeson.
- Race Recap by Rusty Coons, who paddled with his wife Amber and 12 year-old son Grady as “Calico Moon & Son”.
Nov. 15-16, 2019
The Great Flood of 2019 postponed the race until Novemeber. Due to sub-freezing conditions, the race was limited to racers that were reasonably capable of breaking a course record and finishing the race before nightfall on day 2. Only three boats entered (with four paddlers) and one tandem boat finished (Steve Landick and Jeremy Vore of Michigan).
- Missouri Life Magazine – “Dodging Barges, Hallucinating, and Lost on the Big Muddy – Inside the MR340″ – by Evan Henningsen, August 9, 2019 – great stories and tips from MR340 veterans.
- Terrain Magazine – “Conquering the Missouri River 340 Endurance Paddle Race” – by Eric Berger, September 2019 – Also “Preparing for the MR340, the World’s Longest Nonstop Paddle Race” (Q&A with racers Dr. David Crane and Scott Croom) – by Amy Narishkin, Jan. 29, 2014.
- Fox4KC – “MR 340, nonstop boat race on the Missouri River, postponed because of flooding” by Zac Summers, June 10, 2019 (about first postponement)
- Jefferson City News-Tribune – “Missouri River race, cleanup events moved to October” – by Jeff Haldiman, Sept. 4, 2019.
- Fox4KC – ” ‘Quit is just not in my vocabulary:’ Only four taking on MR 340 boat race on Missouri River” – by Regan Porter, Nov. 12, 2019.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch – “Missouri River racers paddle 340 miles in freezing conditions; one boat finishes”– by Annika Merrilees, Nov. 17, 2020.
- Columbia Missourian – “Rocket Run poses challenge to veteran racers” – by Tawnie Wilson, Nov. 16, 2019.