General MR340 Race Info
- 2020 MR340 Race Results
- Missouri River Relief (Race Hosts)
- Race Registration
- Race Course Map (pdf)
- 2021 Race Roster
- 2020 Race Dispatches – eye-opening paddler’s guide to doing this race
- MR340 Race Forum – A community forum powered by and for racers. For some select racing archives from the forum, check out this Midwest Paddle Racing archive.
- MR340 Facebook Group – So Many Good Photos and Stories!!!
- Race Records
- Past Results (an updated dropbox spreadsheet)
- River Projections (bit.ly/mr340stages) – Link to track all river stage projections on the race course
- MR340 Paddler You-Tube Page – How-to videos by race veteran Christopher Luedke
- Select MR340 Videos
Live Race Tracking
- Live Race Updates and Tracking on raceowl.com
- RaceOwl Race Map, with automated tracking for many of the racers.
- MR340 Facebook Group
- #MR340 on Facebook
- #MR340 on Twitter
August 4-7, 2020
To hold the 15th Annual MR340 race during this pandemic year, when so many public events have been cancelled, was a breath of fresh air. We are so grateful for the bravery of Scott and Kate Mansker for leading the way to a safe outdoor adventure for everyone. To witness the perseverance of the racers, the selflessness of the volunteers, the dedication of the ground crews, and the heroism of the safety crews was the medicine we all needed. All divisions and conflicts melted away as the MR340 wove its magic across the state.
The weather was incredible, with cool nighttime lows and highs in the 80’s. Lots of clouds but no threatening storms. Heavy fog the first night followed by several days of perfection. Regional downpours the week before the race kept things dicey up to the last minute, but instead of the high water some racers had hoped for, we had a falling river, covering all of the landings with a layer of pudding mud. That always makes for some fun challenges for everyone!
While there were so many outstanding performances, one vessel, in particular, captured everyone’s imagination. The handcrafted “Kraken”, designed by racer Matt Walters and crewed by Matt, Joe Mann and “Uncle A-Dog”, is a three-person pedal drive craft utilizing four actual canoe paddles on a chain drive. Impossible to explain and hard to believe even when seeing with your own eyes, the boat was the first to hit the finish line.
COVID precautions were observed throughout the race, with everyone masking up on ramps, food lines and other crowded locations. We hope this year’s race is a model for the cooperation and care we need to move forward as a country.
- 2020 Results (raceowl.com)
- PHOTOS – Gallery by official race photographer Cindy Hiles (there are many galleries capturing the race start and the finish line over several days)
- PHOTOS – Missouri River Relief’s Flickr Album
- PHOTOS – “PHOTO GALLERY – MR340 comes through Cooper’s Landing and Jefferson City” – by Elizabeth Underwood and Zephyrus Li, Aug. 6, 2020.
- Columbia Missourian – “MR340 back on the water for 2020” – by Chris Martucci, Aug. 3, 2020
- Jefferson City News-Tribune – “MR340 racers glide down Missouri River on foggy morning” – by Jeff Haldiman, August 5, 2020.
- 13KRCG – “Hundreds flood Missouri River for world’s longest continuous paddle race” – by Lexie Petrovic, August 5, 2020 • “Local woman sets sights on finishing MR340” (about racer Sherry Isenhart) – by Kevin Ryans, August 4, 2020
- Washington Missourian – “PHOTO GALLERY: Racers in Missouri River 340 stop in Washington” – by Julia Hansen and Bill Battle, August 7, 2020
- Chico Enterprise-Record – “Chico’s Peter Bjorklund places second atop paddle board in world’s longest non-stop river race” – by Justin Couchot, August 31, 2020.
Personal blogs and posts
- “Risky Business” #0963 Race report by John Moore posted to MR340 Facebook Group – 8/9/2020
- Great video of race start and some more footage of the “Kraken” by New Haven photographer Tony Carosella
- “2020 MR340 Race Recap” – by Mark Fingerhut (#2456) posted to his Paddle St. Louis blog.
- “Meanderings” by Dana Kee (#5400) – a Microsoft Word download
- Race Recap by Hogan Haake (#) Team “Lemons in a Can”. Includes the story of the rescue his team made midstream Day 1.
- “Adversity at 3 a.m.” by Scott Robeson.
- Race Recap by Rusty Coons, who paddled with his wife Amber and 12 year-old son Grady as “Calico Moon & Son”.
Nov. 15-16, 2019
The Great Flood of 2019 postponed the race until Novemeber. Due to sub-freezing conditions, the race was limited to racers that were reasonably capable of breaking a course record and finishing the race before nightfall on day 2. Only three boats entered (with four paddlers) and one tandem boat finished (Steve Landick and Jeremy Vore of Michigan).
- Missouri Life Magazine – “Dodging Barges, Hallucinating, and Lost on the Big Muddy – Inside the MR340″ – by Evan Henningsen, August 9, 2019 – great stories and tips from MR340 veterans.
- Terrain Magazine – “Conquering the Missouri River 340 Endurance Paddle Race” – by Eric Berger, September 2019 – Also “Preparing for the MR340, the World’s Longest Nonstop Paddle Race” (Q&A with racers Dr. David Crane and Scott Croom) – by Amy Narishkin, Jan. 29, 2014.
- Fox4KC – “MR 340, nonstop boat race on the Missouri River, postponed because of flooding” by Zac Summers, June 10, 2019 (about first postponement)
- Jefferson City News-Tribune – “Missouri River race, cleanup events moved to October” – by Jeff Haldiman, Sept. 4, 2019.
- Fox4KC – ” ‘Quit is just not in my vocabulary:’ Only four taking on MR 340 boat race on Missouri River” – by Regan Porter, Nov. 12, 2019.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch – “Missouri River racers paddle 340 miles in freezing conditions; one boat finishes”– by Annika Merrilees, Nov. 17, 2020.
- Columbia Missourian – “Rocket Run poses challenge to veteran racers” – by Tawnie Wilson, Nov. 16, 2019.